On Christmas Eve, 1937 the first 85 miles of line were energized. In 1939 Tri-County Electric Membership Corporation purchased the holdings of the Tennessee Electric Power Company, which included lines in Celina, Tennessee. The 1940 purchase of the Cumberland Public Service Company expanded Tri-County Electric’s service area to include Burkesville, Tompkinsville and Edmonton, Kentucky. A portion of The Kentucky-Tennessee Light and Power Company was purchased by Tri-County Electric in 1942 allowing us to serve the Scottsville, Kentucky area and bringing Tri-County Electric’s 1943 membership to 7,000.
Tri-County Electric has experienced consistent growth over the past seventy six years. Our wholesale power is supplied by the Tennessee Valley Authority (TVA). We currently have 8 offices (4 in Tennessee: Celina, Hartsville, Lafayette (HQ) and Westmoreland; and 4 in Kentucky: Burkesville, Edmonton, Scottsville and Tompkinsville), 17 substations and over 5,450 miles of distribution line, covering a service area of roughly eighteen hundred square miles. Tri-County Electric serves all or part of the following counties: Allen, Cumberland, Metcalfe, Monroe, Adair, Barren, Clinton and Warren in Kentucky – Macon, Clay, Trousdale, Sumner, Jackson, Overton and Smith in Tennessee. We provide a wide-range of services to our approximately 50,500 members-owners.